If you run a business with 20 or more employees, it is mandatory to register with the Employee Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). Under the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) scheme, an equal amount of contribution is made by both the employer and the employee. Every individual registered under the EPF scheme is assigned a Universal Account Number (UAN). It is a twelve-digit value that helps them manage information regarding their EPF account.
If you are an employee who wants to switch jobs, the UAN will remain the same. Only member identification changes when you change jobs. You can ask your company what your UAN is. In certain cases, your salary slips also mention it. Without UAN activation, you cannot withdraw or transfer money from your Provident Fund (PF) account.
There are certain documents you should have before UAN activation. These include:
- UAN provided by your company
- Member ID provided by the employer. The member ID is the same as your PF digit. In case you don’t have a member value, request one from your employer. The member ID is an alphanumeric value that consists of a code. This code represents the state as well as regional offices.
- Aadhaar Card Digits
- PAN Card Digits
Let’s learn more about the steps involved in the EPFO UAN activation process.
Steps for the UAN Activation Process Online
To activate UAN number online, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Member Interface of the Unified Portal of Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation.
- On the right, under the ‘Important Links’ section, you can find ‘Activate UAN’.
- Clicking on the link will take you to the next page. Here, you need to enter details such as your UAN/Member ID number, Aadhaar digits, your name, birth date, mobile number, and the captcha.
- After entering the details, go to ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- The pin will be sent to your registered phone number.
- Click on the ‘I Agree’ checkbox to accept the terms. Then go to ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN’
- The password will be sent to the registered mobile number.
You can log in now using your UAN and password. After logging in, you can choose to change your password.
Documents Required to Activate UAN Number
The EPFO UAN activation requires the following documents:
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card
- Bank account details
- Bank IFSC code
- Proof of identification
Benefits of UAN
UAN has many benefits for employees as well as employers. Some of them are:
- Due to UAN, sending PF funds has become hassle-free. It has made the procedure quick and increased the chances of fewer errors. You can even switch your EPF account online.
- Before UAN, withdrawing your PF was dependent on your employer. But, UAN has reduced this dependency. Once the KYC verification is complete, the PF amount from the old account to the new one can be sent automatically.
- You receive a notification on your phone for every activity in your EPF account. This has made things more secure. You can also check your account balances through UAN.
- UAN helps in ensuring the PF accounts of the employee are valid.
How to Link Aadhaar with UAN
There are three ways to link your Aadhaar card with your UAN:
- Using the Official EPFO Portal
- Log in to the Unified Portal for Employee Provident Funds
- Go to ‘For Employees’ followed by ‘UAN Member e-Sewa’
- Enter your UAN along with the password and log in
- Go to ‘manage’ and then on ‘KYC’
- Next, you will need to enter the details of your bank branch, Aadhaar card, and PAN. Go to ‘Save’.
- Your request will be displayed in KYC pending approval.
- Once approved by UIDAI, it will mention the employer’s name as “approved by the establishment” as well as “verified by UIDAI.”
- Using the UMANG App
- Log in to UMANG app using MPIN or OTP.
- Once logged in, go to the ‘All Services Tab’. Here, choose ‘EPFO’.
- Under the EPFO section, choose the ‘e-KYC service’ option. Then choose the ‘Aadhaar Seeding’ option.
- Enter your UAN, followed by the ‘Get OTP’ tab. An OTP will be sent to your mobile number.
- Enter your Aadhaar details.
- Lastly, you will receive an OTP on your registered number again, as well as an email for verification.
- Offline Mode
- To link Aadhar in offline mode, you will need to fill out the ‘Aadhaar Seeding Application’. This will require your UAN and Aadhaar digits.
- You will have to submit self-attested copies of UAN, PAN, and Aadhaar along with the application. This can be submitted at the EPFO office or Common Services Centers.
- Once the verification is done, you will get a message on your phone saying that the Aadhaar has been linked to the EPF account.
UAN has made things easy for businesses as well as employees. All the PF accounts can be accessed on a single platform. It also helps the EPFO track all the changes being made. These facilities can be accessed online, which makes things hassle-free. Further, you can switch your PF account from one employee to another, from the comfort of your home.
The steps for activating the UAN are simple. It requires minimal documentation. For more such articles, head to the Piramal Finance website. Our experts will guide you through your finance-related concerns.